Then it became fabric.
And now, after several hours of sewing-machine improvisation, it’s a sundress. I didn’t use a pattern for this piece, I just kept cutting and sewing until I had something I was willing to wear in public. (Don’t look too closely at the details, it’s pretty ragged.) The cotton voile, which is perilously sheer, is perfect for this scorching weather.
It’s a lot of fun making something almost entirely from soup to nuts out of your imagination. (I suppose to be REALLY all mine I’d have had to weave and dye the cloth myself.) I learned a tremendous amount about garment construction just from trial and error on this one. I now understand, for example, why necklines and armholes are generally faced.
But hey, I made a dress where there never was a dress!
[Tip o' the hat to Miss Abigail who wielded the camera.]