On Saturday, I drove to Charlotte to visit Ikea and make some kitchen cabinet choices. I ate a small breakfast, but I was feeling mildly queasy on the drive there. While shopping, I treated myself to lunch at the restaurant, hoping it would settle my stomach.

It didn’t. I was feeling bloated and still a tad nauseated.

About an hour into my drive home, I shifted my foot from the accelerator to the brake and felt a sharp pain at the lower right juncture of my abdomen and leg. That’s odd, says I to myself. It didn’t feel muscular, but it was clearly connected to the movement of my leg.

I made a rest stop half an hour later, and when I twisted to get out of the car, my lower right side flared with pain. I was still feeling queasy and crampy. By the time I got home, I was pretty convinced that some kind of serious stomach bug was coming on.

By about 8:30, I had ascertained that there was no position in which I could sit or stand that made me more comfortable. At 9:15, I called Bob and described what was going on. He showed up 15 minutes later and we decided that the emergency room was a good idea.

I will spare you the whole story about HOW RIDICULOUSLY LONG *cough5hourscough* it took for a person with all the symptoms of acute appendicitis to see an actual physician. Who then ordered the wrong CT scan (fortunately we caught the order before it went through).

Anyway. Fifteen minutes after the scan, the diagnosis was made, and half an hour after that the surgeon showed up to talk with me.

Two hours after that I went into surgery, and by 10AM I was lying in a hospital bed with the nicest view EVAR.

(Even the ceiling had a view. Sort of!)

I left the hospital at about 5:45PM.

Bob was by my side through the whole process and was a terrific support and companion. It would have been miserable to be on my own and I’m so thankful for his kindness, helpfulness, and advocacy on my behalf.

So my real estate career will have to wait to begin for a week to ten days. And I’m being forcibly reminded how useful one’s core muscles are and how unpleasant it is to do just about anything (except lie flat on one’s back) if moving them causes pain.

But, and let me be clear on this: I am really happy to be alive and on the mend. A hundred and fifty years ago, appendicitis was a death sentence. Now, if caught before rupture, it’s a routine laparoscopic procedure with nearly 100% successful outcome. Because: SCIENCE!

I am also grateful for the caregiving staff at Mission Hospital; the nurses were friendly, attentive, and super-competent. I’d particularly like to thank Phil, my OR prep nurse, and Sara, who looked after me in my room. They were wonderful.

I’d also like to thank Charlotte and Betsy of the All Soul’s healing ministry who visited me. It was so kind of them and gave me substantial comfort.

And now I think I’ll go look at some adorable animals on Cute Overload.

A Year Ago: Open

Tulip stamen.To be open is to be vulnerable. To be seen is to face the prospect of being judged…
[read more]

5 Responses to Emergency
  1. Dale Favier
    April 8, 2013 | 7:29 am

    Oh, man, I’m so glad you’re OK, Nina! Hugs and hugs. And hurray for Bob! xoxo

  2. Jean Ruaud
    April 8, 2013 | 4:19 pm

    Hope you’ll get well soon. Take care of you, Nina.

  3. David Memphis MOJO Smith
    April 8, 2013 | 7:39 pm

    Glad to hear it ended well!!

  4. Aaron Tovish
    April 9, 2013 | 4:28 am

    Nina! Five hours!! Are they nuts?
    I hope to meet this knight in shining armor someday soon. Thank you, Bob.
    Let’s Skype as soon as you have the strength.

  5. Beth
    April 12, 2013 | 11:19 am

    So sorry to hear this!! And really glad it turned out so well. J. and I both send you {{gentle}} hugs.